9 OF THE BEST BEACH RESORTS IN SOUTH AFRICA
For many, a holiday in South Africa is all about the beach – and it is hardly surprising when you look a bit closer. Expect to find long swathes of deserted beaches, perfectly curved waves for surfers, dolphins and whales to spot, and beautiful dunes made for sunset strolls. Whether you are travelling with kids in tow or are on the hunt for a luxury break with your significant other, our hotel Gurus have brought you a collection of the best beach resorts in South Africa ensuring that booking your next trip is a complete breeze. As well as the usual large resort style properties, we’ve selected beachside boutiques, guesthouses and lodges all of which offer great services and are close to a wide range of activities.
- Morgan Bay Hotel is a delightful beachside hotel that’s been in the family for generations. Light and bright rooms boast beautiful balconies with sea views. A stone’s throw from Morgans Bay and offering a spa, excellent dining, and plenty of outdoor pursuits from surfing to fishing, this is ideal for active families.
- If you’re after a truly relaxing family stay, Thonga Beach Lodge in KwaZulu Natal is the place. Located on a deserted beach, with excellent snorkelling and diving opportunities. Stay in luxurious cottage accommodation; some family suites include private pools.
- Crawford’s Beach Lodge is a popular owner-managed B&B, within walking distance of The Wild Coast’s spectacular shore in Chintsa, Eastern Cape. Explore some of South Africa’s most rugged landscapes from the comfort of this homely stay. Very family friendly, there are plenty of in-house activities to keep little ones busy and family suites for those travelling with young children.
- Robberg Beach Lodge is a bright and contemporary property which enjoys far-reaching views across Plettenberg Bay. Just a stroll from the beach, there’s plenty of activities for all from rounds of golf to visiting Knysna Elephant Park. The family suites and cottages make this ideal for families of all ages.
- The last word in beachfront luxury, Umhlanga’s grand and elegant Oyster Box Hotel offers a state-of-the-art spa and a choice of top quality bars and restaurants. A range of accommodation spans from charming rooms to family-friendly villas and all have an indulgent yet homely feel.
FOR AN ACTIVE STAY
- On The Beach Guest House sits right along the popular Jeffrey’s Bay and is run by charming hosts. This hotel boasts unrivalled sea views and a bounty of nautical activities right on your doorstep from surfing to sailing, while golf and trekking are possible nearby.
FOR A BOUTIQUE
- Plettenberg Bay’s The Old Rectory is a beachfront boutique hotel with simple yet elegant design and interiors furnished with stylish decor and artworks. Featuring pretty gardens surrounding the pool, easy access to beaches and an indulgent spa.
- Abalone Lodge is a fabulous little hotel in Hermanus providing chic, modern accommodation overlooking the Atlantic Ocean. Stylish rooms are decorated in nautical palettes: spot whales passing by from the comfort of your own balcony. Relax in the spa or workout in the gym. Divine.
- Strandloper Ocean Boutique Hotel in Paternoster is a coastal hotel comprising just 14 secluded suites all boasting spectacular sea views. The interiors have been kept simple with whitewashed walls, cleanly designed furniture and luxurious bathrooms. Staff are ever helpful, the cuisine delicious and wine collection excellent.